RENOVATING A T25 PART 2

T25 Renovation Project Part 2: Tackling the rock n roll bed

We were relieved to find a full length adjustable Rock ‘n Roll bed on Just Kampers.  The concept was ideal, it was light weight and could be adjusted not only to full or quarter length, but also could be fitted to “Bay”s and more importantly T25s.

Before returning the van to the mechanic, we set about building this work of art.  Four hours later we gently placed the bed in the van ready for the mechanic to bolt to the floor.  We could have bolted the bed in ourselves, but with important fuel pipes running to the engine below, we decided to leave it to the expert. 

The problem.

I received a phone call the next day.  ‘Come and have a look at this’.  What I was presented with was worrying.  The bed/seat was not secure at all, even with all the bolts tightened, there was significant play and the bed/seat’s back leant at an alarming rate. The adjustable metal struts moved back and forth making the structure incredibly weak.  I returned to search the forums, and posted questions like ‘Should it lean like this?’, ‘Should it have this much play?’.  A number of fellow owners contacted me and stated that they all had to alter the bed according to their van, so really it was left to us to find a solution. 

The solution.

To prevent the struts from moving back and forth I drilled through the frame and struts where they overlapped, securing it together with 25 mm self tapper screws.  I then attached two panels of MDF to form the seat, placing screws every 15 cm.  Once this was done, we found that the play was drastically reduced and we were able to sit and swing out the bed comfortably. 

We were now left with one problem, the angle of the back.  To safely secure the children into their safety belts, it required the back to be straightened significantly.  After days of deliberation, we purchased two lengths of builder’s steel with holes already drilled through them.  At the front two corners of the base frame (not the bed frame) we drilled an extra hole and attached the builder’s steel strut which had be angle-grinded to length.  So far so good, but now we had to get the back panel straighten and attach the steel struts to the top corners.  This was difficult, but we were lucky and the bolts met the holes of the steel strut. 

Now our bed was secure and upright. In the evening, when preparing the bed, all we have to do was remove the top bolts and let the struts swing free, enabling us to open the bed fully.